Friday, February 04, 2011

SNOW DAY

An awful, jarring sound broke the stillness, rousing the somnolent beast from its warm den. "Who DARES disturb my slumber?!" it roared. 

When the phone jangled, I was confused. My alarm had not rung yet; this was a phone call. "Who is calling me at 6:15 in the morning? I'm not answering that!" It took me a few seconds to remember that today was Friday, that there had been a chance (and high hopes) for snow. "It's the school! It's the school!" I gleefully predicted. "They're calling to tell us there's no school!" Listening to the message confirmed that it was, indeed, a snow day!

Excitedly, I hopped out of bed and went to look out the front window. "Ummm, there's no snow?" I tried looking out another window. A light dusting, possibly half an inch, covered the road, and if I looked between the blades of grass, there was a little bit of snow on the lawn. For a Minnesota girl with Canadian blood, this was a strange thing. But I embraced it.


The boys were outside before 7 am. Scott wanted to see if he could make a snowball. He reports that yes, he managed to make a snowball. He just came in a second ago. "I tried to make a snow angel."

The news reports that the last measurable snowfall here was in 2004 , 0.7 inches. Evidently, there was some freezing rain which turned the roads to ice last night, now covered with a little snow. Driving conditions are not safe, especially for a city which rarely sees snow. We're staying at home today, catching up on important things like blogging and laundry. Hooray for snow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have two and a half feet of snow in the back yard and Hugh hasn't gotten out of going to work once. Hooray for the midwest. :(

Anonymous said...

We made 34 snowballs. 34!