Monday, February 14, 2011

Random thoughts

It's V-day. When Ethan threw up all over the bathroom tonight, Mr. M cleaned it up. No complaints. He just did it. That is true love. We also consumed some chocolate together after dinner. Mmmm, chocolate....

I just got invited to a baby shower being held at a bar. Come enjoy champagne, wine, and tapas, the invitation says. What's up with that? I am not a bar girl, so that doesn't sound appealing at all. But even if I were, what about the mother-to-be ??? She can't be drinking, and it's her party! I really like this mother-to-be, and I was thrilled to see that there was a shower for her, but ... I'm pretty sure the only bar I've been to was the bar inside Benihana while I was undercover as a mystery shopper with Mr. M. I ordered a Sprite with lime in it:) Wait, there was one other time. I was 17, returning home to Minnesota after spending Christmas in Hawaii with my family, and our flight to Rochester was canceled, so Northwest stuck us in a van from Minneapolis. It was below zero outside, the van had no heat, and we had on t-shirts and sweaters, pathetically inadequate for the harsh Minnesota winter. (Who flies to Hawaii in winter clothes?) The van actually broke down on the side of the road, and it was so cold that we took refuge in a nearby bar. My brothers and I played arcade games and drank hot chocolate until Northwest sent a limo to take us the rest of the way home. Good times.  

How's everyone out there in bloggerville? Is anyone not sick? I was just perusing Facebook, and it seems like everyone's status is about strep, flu, or other yucky germs.

My violin studio has shrunk down to 6 violin students. One quit, but I think it's all for the best. She was 4 and was possibly overscheduled (still has dance and piano classes). Speaking of scheduling, we have let Ethan's swim classes lapse. He has been taking lessons twice a week for the last few months and LOVES it. We're taking a break, though, because he had something going on every day, and we don't want to burn him out. Let children be children, I say! Long live bike rides around the block, building forts with chairs and blankets, and reading books in huge bean bags. And long live stream jumping (which my boys haven't tried yet).

The picture above is of my brother who is closest to me in age. It is one of my favorites (and so is he). Everything's a blur except for him. Look at his expression as he leaps across that stream; he's moving fast, excited to be airborne, perhaps a bit nervous about where he will come down.  Maybe adulthood isn't all that different from childhood?

What's going on in your life?

8 comments:

Megan said...

We are not sick *knock on wood* and it is a good thing. I don't know how I'd go into the radiation center full of immunosuppressed cancer patients if we were...

Feel better soon--and try not to share the yucks with one another!

Gina said...

Oh my gosh, I LOVE the photo of your brother! That is pure happiness right there, and the photographer captured it perfectly!

Gina said...

And that was an awesome bar story. :)

Ben said...

I think I'm about 10 in that picture... almost Ethan's age.
How's that for scary?

Thomas Spackman said...

Actually Ben was flying in that picture, just coming in for a landing, but I caught him just right... :-)

Jenny said...

I want to hear how the bar baby shower went. I've been to bars a lot, but never to buy alcohol and NEVER for a baby shower.
Didn't Ben live in the language housing?

Erin said...

Jenny, he did indeed live in the language housing. The bar shower hasn't happened yet, but I decided not to go. Just easier that way.

liz j said...

Hooray for not over scheduling! After teaching for years I'm thrilled to hear of families who set expectations high but manage to do it without freaking everyone out. Childhood is a good time for training, but it should also be AWESOME.