My throat was mildly sore last Monday evening. Tuesday morning, my sternocleidimastoids were painful to the touch, especially by my ears, my cheekbones and jawbone were throbbing, and it felt like there was a stake inside my head. My extra-strength Tylenol did nothing for me. I laid down with Elizabeth (who had a fever) and slept for 3 hours Tuesday afternoon.
Tuesday night, I wore a t-shirt and pajama pants, heavy socks, a sweater, and a sweatshirt to bed. I slept under a sheet, a blanket, and a heavy blanket. I couldn't sleep though; I was so cold that I was shivering. Elizabeth did not sleep well that night, either.
Wednesday morning, I got up feeling very cold. Even with all my clothes and coat and hat on, and the car heater on blasto, I was still cold. I made an appointment for Elizabeth with the pediatrician; I figured she was suffering more because she didn't understand pain and fever. Her throat looked fine, one ear looked good, the other ear was questionable, but no prescription. The doctor kindly agreed to look at my throat and to do a strep test. The instant one came back negative, but he gave me a prescription for penicillin based on the way it looked and told me to take some ibuprofen and to get some for Elizabeth as well.
I came home, found my prescription strength ibuprofen (which took 2 hours to kick in - that's the level of pain we're talking about - moan moan) and slept again with Elizabeth for a good chunk of the day.
Yesterday, I felt somewhat better, especially on my ibuprofen. At lunch, I saw that my right tonsil had big white globs oozing about. I removed one with a q-tip and a few hours later, another one was there. I removed that one, too. Last night, I took a 90 minute bath with a good book and felt really good.
Today, our snow day, we were all up early (for a snow day), and I took a 3 hour nap with Elizabeth from 11 am - 2 pm. This afternoon, my husband took a call from the pediatrician's office, reporting that my culture swab for strep had come back positive. Since the snow on the roads has all melted, I am going to get dressed and venture out to buy a new toothbrush. I feel vindicated. All the pain and all those naps were not just me being wussy.

5 comments:
Ack! Being sick is so yucky. You definitely deserve a new toothbrush. Maybe two.
Blargh. I've never had strep, but it sounds horrible :-(. I hope you and Elizabeth feel better soon. Three cheers for antibiotics!
I especially liked the part about the white globs. And I'm so glad you're on the mend.
Oh, how awful! Until recently, I'd never had strep and couldn't really relate to how nasty it can be. Alas, I tested positive for it in December, so the memory is fresh and painful. May you and all your love ones get much healthier!
Thanks, everyone. I'm feeling much, much better today AND I got my new toothbrush:)
Post a Comment