For over 7 years, I have listened to KUSC, and a few weeks ago, I finally became a member and a financial supporter. I was feeling rich, I suppose, because we had received a lovely little tax return. Mr. M had previously sent money to our NPR station, and I felt like it was finally time to support the station I always listen to. PLUS, the thank you gift for a $25 donation was a mystery CD, which tempted me. (They promised it would be good.) I pulled over to the side of the road and called in to make my pledge.
Not many days later, I opened my mailbox and found a letter addressed to me with a return address of KUSC. I expected to find membership information, but what I found instead were 2 tickets to the upcoming LA Chamber Orchestra concert, an evening of Baroque music. A perfect birthday celebration for Mr. M and a great date!
Everything came together swimmingly. Uncle Shaun came to watch the kids. Despite some traffic delays and a late start, we arrived on time. Our seats were fantastic, and the program was worthy of being there. I was not familiar with any of the music, but it was Baroque, so it felt familiar. Among the musicians, I found* Dom Delouise on cello, Jessie from Toy Story II on violin 1, Sarah Palin on violin 2, and another violinist whose bangs seemed to move in opposition to her bow arm - much hair waving! I particularly enjoyed the Bach Concerto in D for 3 violins, for obvious reasons, and the Oboe d'amore concerto. The oboe d'amore soloist was a twinkly, smiley older gentleman. When he came onstage, the white elastic bands from his tux pants were hanging down the side of his leg and he was trying to tuck them in on one side, while bowing and acknowledging the applause. Some of the passages were quite long, longer than I could hold my breath, and yet, here he was, creating nuanced phrases and even crescendos. I wondered if he might pass out. He did not.
Our ticket stubs were good for a free dessert at a nearby restaurant, so we hightailed it out of the theatre for a small, but potent, serving of Orange Cake. Delicious!
When we arrived home, the boys were asleep, and Elizabeth was happily kicking on her playmat.
It was a very pleasant evening. Thank you, KUSC, and thank you, Uncle Shaun!
*The celebrities named above were not present, but the musicians reminded me of them.
2 comments:
That's just good karma making its way around really fast.
That sounds so fun! wow, a real date. I want one! :) Good job supporting your local station, what good incentive to do it again.
Post a Comment