I woke up yesterday morning around 6:15 am with contractions about every 7 minutes. These continued for an hour, so I made the call to the great Uncle Shaun to let him know that we'd likely need him to come over and watch the boys. He obligingly got up, showered, and appeared at our house.
The day didn't quite go as we planned. Although the contractions continued fairly steadily, and were sometimes as close together as 3 minutes, there was no real progression in intensity or pain. Uncle Shaun spent the day with us, helped pick up a nice rocker/glider that one of my violin students had given us, and we fed him.
We did finally go to the hospital last night because the contractions were sometimes 2 minutes apart, and I have heard so many stories of people delivering at home that I wanted to be safe. We were happy to be sent home after being put on the monitor and then checked by the doctor (who was Ethan's doctor years ago at a different hospital across the city). Dilated one measly centimeter, which is no change from 10 days ago. He asked how close we lived to the hospital, then told us to come back when the contractions were 3-5 minutes apart and so intense that all I couldn't do anything else.
We came home to kids who were bathed and asleep AND played Scrabble with Shaun and Whitney, then consumed enormous quantities of chocolate chip cookies baked by our best babysitters! Way better than hanging around in the hospital.
The comforting thing about a full day of contractions is that I am no longer worried that I'll end up with a c-section (scheduled for Friday if I don't deliver on my own - one day shy of 42 weeks) and I don't have the fear of my uterus rupturing anymore.
2 comments:
wow, your babysitters sound fantastic - where'd you find them? :D
good luck!!! we're all very very excited for you up here :)
Holy moly we're so excited for you! Glad you're not worrying so much anymore.
Post a Comment