Scott and I were in the living room, and I saw him put a ruler in his mouth. I have been so beaten down by Scott's independent streak that I figured there was no point in saying, "It's dangerous to put the ruler in your mouth."
Not 30 seconds later, he was on the ground, crying. Blood was coming out of his mouth. I scooped him up and carried him into the bathroom where he cried and cried and kept spitting out the accumulating blood. I got him a clean washcloth and all on his own, he applied direct pressure to his wound.
His wound is under his tongue. Somehow the ruler slipped or he slipped and it looks like he severed his lingual frenulum and also cut the floor of his mouth. That's the thing under your tongue that attaches it to the floor of your mouth.
We consulted Dr. Grandpa, who said that as long as it stopped bleeding, it should heal fine on its own.
Scott has been very mellow since the accident - has mostly lain around with his blanket on the couch and is now sleeping. We would appreciate your prayers on his behalf.
11 comments:
Poor Scotty! Hope he feels better fast.
I hope he's learned the most important lesson this incident has to offer- how to pronounce "frenulum."
My frenulum hurts reading this. I hope Scott gets better very quickly. I hear mouths are one of the quickest things to heal...
Oooh. That is so sad! That pic breaks my heart. Thank goodness he has an optimistic prognosis.
Ouch...I'm so sorry. I hope everything heals up nicely and quickly.
Oh no! My sweet brother had a similar experience with a toothbrush at around the same age. The story also involved the ER and a miracle. Just like Robin I'm so glad your Scotty has an optimistic prognosis!
this should make it much easier for him to win the "Can you tongue touch your nose" contest.
Oh, ouch! I'm so sorry about Scott's accident, but it was cute to hear about his talk! I hope that he continues to keep feeling better.
It's true! I always win when I touch my nose with my tongue...
Post a Comment