I played in church today. I should say, I played a violin obligato while a sister missionary sang a lovely arrangement of the hymn Jesus, the very thought of Thee. It was very pretty with some nice entwining harmonies. Those are my favorite.
After our number, the next speaker followed the unwritten Sacrament Meeting rules by making a comment about the music. I was still on the stand, putting the music stand back between the piano and organ when he intoned, "The human voice is by far the most beautiful instrument." I almost choked with laughter; luckily, I had my back to the congregation at that point. I knew he was saying he enjoyed it and she did a great job. I'm pretty sure he didn't consider the implication, "Thank goodness that violin didn't ruin things."
Anyway, we're doing the same number this afternoon. This morning, my ward. Up next, her ward. Watch for us coming to a ward near you...
5 comments:
very funny!
OUCH! Gotta love well-intentioned insults.
Bah, traditions of men! Classical guitar is the true doctrine :)
Oh brother! I don't know if I could have left that one alone. I think we should start having an un-written rule about observing a moment of silence after a nice musical number to give everyone a chance to bask in the Spirit...and then forbid the next speaker from making any additional comments to cheapen the experience.
Ha! My 2 cents.
Oh, I like that idea!
Post a Comment