Ethan's birthday comes in the midst of the holidays, so I told him we'd celebrate with his friends in January. Tonight he and I were lying on his bed, discussing the details. He kept insisting that there be no candles on his cake. When I pressed him on his reasons, he said, "Mom, I don't want global warming. I don't want the polar ice caps to melt."
Holy awareness of issues, Batman! I told him that his few candles would not have that kind of effect on the world and then excused myself while he and Mr. M had a long conversation (still going 20 minutes later) about what is global warming...
6 comments:
I have no idea how Al Gore is communicating with my son. What kind of 6 year-old wants a carbon offset to accompany his birthday cake!?
Wow is all I can say. How old is Ethan? Has he expressed even more concern for your birthday cakes?
OK, it is 1:25 am in Spain and I have jetlag. I see now that Ethan is six... :)
Yikes, Janine, your question exposes the truth: Mr. M and I do not celebrate our birthdays with birthday cakes. I think Ethan's concern is somewhat recent because he didn't say a thing about it at any of the birthday parties he attended last fall.
No better place to have jetlag than Spain! Well, actually, I'm saving so I can have jetlag in Tahiti and New Zealand, but it will be a long time from now.
Nice. I'm not so worried about global warming as I am about recycling and sustainability.
On behalf of all Minnesotans, keep having many birthdays with cake and LOTS of candles!
Post a Comment