It was a big day in the life of Erin the musician. I held my spring recital for my violin studio this afternoon at the local public library, and tonight I played in the San Antonio Symphony Pro-Am concert in which amateur and semi-professional players sit side by side with symphony members. I confess that I was stressed about both and extremely grouchy on the inside. I think I managed to only be somewhat grouchy on the outside, but at the end of the day, I feel wonderful and will remember the day as such. I only hope that my family members can remember it with the same fondness and forgive me my grouching.
The recital was a great success. I have 9 students, 2 of whom are Ethan and Scott. The actual performance time was just over 15 minutes. Short and sweet. Ordinarily, I perform something, too, but since I have been putting all my practice time into the music for tonight's symphony concert, I excused myself from performing at the recital. Everyone did really well, and I'm so pleased with the progress my students are making.
This was the 2nd Annual Symphony Pro-Am concert. I applied late January and received notification about 3 weeks ago that I was accepted to play first violin. Our parts were emailed to us, and we received seat assignments when we reported for our first and only rehearsal (1 hour). There was a half hour break and then our performance: Liszt Les Préludes, a piece I have played twice previously at Interlochen. It's a challenging piece with lots of arpeggios, noodles, and very high notes for the first violins. They had me seated in the third stand (!!!), so I was feeling a lot of pressure, but my stand partner was very nice. I realized in the rehearsal that no one was going to yell at me or put leaves down my shirt, that I just needed to do my best and enjoy it, so I did! It turns out that my stand partner was also at Interlochen in 1992 in WYSO! Such a small world. I am going to dig out my programs and see if I can find her name.
Mr. M, Scott, and Ethan all came to support me and listen. Scott seemed to really like it, but perhaps it is just because it makes for good blog material. He has been posting almost every day on his own blog. (It is a private blog, so if you would like an invitation, let me know.)
The recital was a great success. I have 9 students, 2 of whom are Ethan and Scott. The actual performance time was just over 15 minutes. Short and sweet. Ordinarily, I perform something, too, but since I have been putting all my practice time into the music for tonight's symphony concert, I excused myself from performing at the recital. Everyone did really well, and I'm so pleased with the progress my students are making.
This was the 2nd Annual Symphony Pro-Am concert. I applied late January and received notification about 3 weeks ago that I was accepted to play first violin. Our parts were emailed to us, and we received seat assignments when we reported for our first and only rehearsal (1 hour). There was a half hour break and then our performance: Liszt Les Préludes, a piece I have played twice previously at Interlochen. It's a challenging piece with lots of arpeggios, noodles, and very high notes for the first violins. They had me seated in the third stand (!!!), so I was feeling a lot of pressure, but my stand partner was very nice. I realized in the rehearsal that no one was going to yell at me or put leaves down my shirt, that I just needed to do my best and enjoy it, so I did! It turns out that my stand partner was also at Interlochen in 1992 in WYSO! Such a small world. I am going to dig out my programs and see if I can find her name.
![]() |
| Announcements before rehearsal started |

2 comments:
Aunt Sharla would love an invitation to Scott's blog.
I wish you lived close to me -- I need a violin teacher for a little girl :) .
Post a Comment