Tuesday, October 12, 2010

WELCOME to the 2010 San Antonio Crudfest (cue swoopy lights)! Our scores tonight are Scott 5, Elizabeth 4, and Ethan 2!

It has been an eventful day. I woke up in time to get the boys on the bus in clean clothes. This job usually falls to Mr. M, but he is en route home from a business jaunt to Los Angeles.

On our way to take Ethan to his first choir concert of the year, Scott complained that his stomach felt weird. After we dropped off Ethan, Scott decided he would feel better if he were lying down and tried flopping sideways in his booster seat. As we drove, I suddenly heard a gurgling sound. Poor Scottie heaved all over the backseat of the car. I pulled over, punched my emergency blinkers, dumped out a plastic bag I had in the front seat, and Scott managed to do the rest of his heaving in the bag. We drove back to the concert location, where I had Scott sit on the grass while I cleaned out the back seat with baby wipes. It wasn't too bad, and I finished with 10 minutes to spare before the start of the concert. Scott was completely clean and was feeling much better.

Elizabeth was still in her babyseat, and it was time to go in. I got out with my diaper bag and closed my door. Scott was already out. Elizabeth's door was locked, as were ALL THE OTHER DOORS. "No problem, my keys are in the diaper bag," I tell myself. They are usually in the diaper bag. They are usually attached to my diaper bag. For some reason, they are not attached to my diaper bag. I can see them, sitting in the front seat of the car. AGH. I have locked my baby in the car with my keys.

I had my cell phone, but no locksmith to call. I called Shaun, to see if he could look someone up for me. I had to leave a message. I called Jessica, who was not far away, but didn't give me anyone to call. I called Dennis, who said he was on his way, but wouldn't be there very soon. Gail and Jessica showed up together about 5 minutes later.

At this point, Elizabeth is irritated. It's an overcast 91 degrees outside, and she is starting to sweat. Gail had a newspaper in her purse that we unfolded and put across the back windshield to make shade. Jessica called AAA, and amazingly, the guy showed up in less than 10 minutes. He said he got a "hot baby" call, so I'm guessing I'm not the first person to ever do this in Texas.

We made it in to the choir concert with a minute to spare. Ethan did a terrific job. The sanctuary was beautiful, very cathedral like, with a huge organ in front and stained glass windows all around. I met Ethan's choir director, who told me what a joy it was to have him in choir. Then we made sure all the other administrators would remember the whole family - as Scott threw up all over the red carpet at the exit of the sanctuary. Poor guy. Poor carpet.

Since arriving home, we've had much more vomit. The scores in the title are number of times said person has thrown up. The crud has hit and hit hard, although Ethan suggested that he only threw up because he had 4 cookies at the post-concert reception. Scott has a fever. The boys are both sleeping with low buckets on towels next to them in their beds. Elizabeth is sleeping in her pack'n'play downstairs on the tile. I've changed 2 sets of sheets, one sleeper, poured out 5 buckets of vomit, given 2 baths, and done one big load of laundry. I'm collecting for the second load.

Anyone have good ideas on removing vomit smell from carpet? I removed the chunks, blotted with numerous paper towels, and generously sprinkled baking soda over the wet places, which I will vacuum in the morning.

Before he threw up the second time, Ethan was still begging to go to school in the morning. He doesn't want to mess up his class' chance at perfect attendance. "Please? Just for a little while?"

10 comments:

Gina said...

Oh dear! I hope the worst is over!

Jenny said...

Wow. You make my worst day ever look like a walk in the park. And you sound so calm too.

Ben said...

Wow....

Spencer and Jennifer Lee said...

Oh no! So sorry to hear that. We feel your pain, Spencer threw up at pre-k on monday and lily did a number in our car and on the living room carpet, must be a superbug going around. Hope they all get better soon! Maybe try Lysol or Febreze on the carpet?

Violadiva said...

Yuck-o. Have you ever heard of Don Aslett? He's sort of a local Logan celebrity and cleaning guru. He sells a product called a Bacteria and Enzyme Digester that works on human and pet smells on carpet and upholstery. Try his website www.cleanreport.com

Kara said...

Yowzers! I'm so sorry. And here I was complaining about having one home with a fever. May today be a low-scoring day!

Anonymous said...

Blech. I'm sorry. Hopefully it's just a 24 hour bug and everybody will be better soon.

Heidi said...

So sorry to hear everyone was sick (and hopefully over it by now). My favorite carpet spotter is a Woolite Oxy Clean one in a blue bottle. We've been potty training for over 6 months around here and I've been through them all. It works fast, well, and takes the smell away. Good luck!

Maria Babin said...

THere is this fabulous fabulous product called Kids & Pets that is made of enzymes that will eat up whatever is causing the bad odor. pee, poo, vomit. it doesn't just clean or mask the odor, it really gets rid of it! i LOve this stuff! and they don't sell it in france! you can get it at walmart

Anonymous said...

I threw up 7 times.