Saturday, August 07, 2010

Winding down in Los Angeles - TASTE

As we're preparing to leave, it seems only fitting that the weather be perfect, the sky gorgeously blue, and all our vacancies fill. Today we used up our last Groupon and tried a new restaurant for lunch, Taste. It has a location on Melrose and one in the Palisades, and we chose the Palisades to be able to say goodbye to the beach and the ocean. We took the whole family and were very pleasantly surprised by a lovely dining experience in all aspects: personable and sincere service, a comfortable ambiance, ample menu options, food that looked and tasted great, and good value.

We had some delicious fresh bread served with butter and hummus as we waited for our food to arrive. There was a lot of natural light in the restaurant, beautiful dark woods, and a comfortable, casual feel. One of my pet peeves is loud music in restaurants. Another one is feeling like you are too close to the neighboring table. Neither one applied here.

Ethan ordered the prix fix off the kids' menu. His fruit arrived first, a generous portion of blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and sliced bananas. His main course was a grilled cheese sandwich on thick toasted bread with a small bowl of tomato soup; Scott opted for a cheese pizzetta. I tasted them all, and they were yummy. Mr. M had a grilled chicken sandwich with mixed greens, and I had a Kobe Beef Burger with mixed greens. Mmmmm, that beef was so delicious.

We decided to splurge for dessert, since we were celebrating life. Ethan had vanilla gelato and Scott ordered a chocolate cupcake, which arrived topped with a raspberry on a plate sprinkled with powdered sugar. He picked it up to eat with his hands, like a normal cupcake, and I suggested that it would be more polite to use his fork. He obediently picked up his fork, skewered the cupcake, and lifted the entire thing to his mouth. I couldn't contain my laughter and assured him that it would be fine to use his hands. Mr. M and I shared a chocolate brioche bread pudding, which arrived warm, topped with crème anglaise, vanilla gelato, and a beautiful raspberry.

When we were all finished, Scott exclaimed, "That cupcake was so good that my face is all dirty!" He did seem to be wearing a good deal of chocolate around his mouth.

As we walked out after paying the bill, our waitress handed Michael a small paper bag with some hummus, such a nice touch to finish a perfectly delightful afternoon.

If anyone is looking for a place to celebrate or just enjoy a meal, I highly recommend Taste. I also have a coupon for a free chocolate brioche bread pudding, which must be used by August 15th. I doubt that I'll be able to use it since we are leaving so soon. Any takers?

4 comments:

Nick said...

Good luck you guys! I am envious that your kids will eat fruit and veg. Must be nice not to worry about scurvy :)

Erin said...

No scurvy here today, Nick!

Erica said...

All I have to say is YUM.

Anonymous said...

The best was the dried mangoes getting eaten in the moving van.