Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Vacation cuteness

We are on vacation! We flew to Wichita almost a week ago to stay with C, J, and their 4 kids. C and J have been wonderful hosts; they even gave up their own bedroom for us and the girls gave up their bunkbeds for the boys. (Before you think we're complete jerks, C and J are sleeping in the baby's room next door in a bed.)

I have been exploring my inner slug by taking daily naps, reading library books, raiding the garage freezer which is stocked with ice cream sandwiches, and enjoying all the food that C and J have prepared for us. Our boys have had such a great time here; besides the fun of playing with cousins the same age, they have loved being in a home with stairs, bikes, and a yard with a lake and mud. Good times!

We visited the zoo on Friday, which was quite possibly the best zoo I' ve even seen. It was nicely laid out, so the walking paths go around the animal exhibits on all sides. There were also numerous indoor air-conditioned spaces for animal observation. We saw a tiger feeding, elephant training, and ate our lunch in the gorilla tent, where Ethan had the thrill of learning through observation that gorillas urinate. It happened to be 99 degrees the day we were there, and it happened to be "Wet and Wild Day", which meant that a fire truck was present all afternoon, spraying its hose into the air and creating a huge muddy puddle for zoo-goers to splash and swim in. I think it was the best day of Scott's life!

Yesterday and today, we visited the YMCA. I have never seen a YMCA like this before! Besides the regular things you'd expect like weight machines and a lap pool, there is a climbing wall, and a family pool with fountains and a mini-waterslide, as well as an outdoor waterpark with a lazy river, two water slides, and a shallow pool for splashing and wading. Wow, wow, and wow!

Besides exploring my inner slug, I am beginning to get in touch with my more feminine side. Last night, when I came in from my walk, J was sitting at the table, surrounded by ribbons, buttons, cloth flowers, and plain barrettes. (C and J have 3 daughters.) J invited me to make a few hair clips, so I made some for BabyGirl and I even made two for me. It was surprisingly easy and quite fun. Maybe I will turn out to be more of a girlygirl than I had previously thought.

Speaking of girlygirls, Mr. M has one big toenail that seems to have a fungus. It has been this way for years and is not especially nice to look at, although it seems to be doing better in recent months. The 5 year old girl of the house, a tousled blond who loves carebears, cheerleading, and hugs, was standing by him and looked down at his sandaled feet. "Oh!" she exclaimed, "your sick toe is CUTE!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Making hair bows?!? I'll have you know that I have walked sadly past many a cute girly outfit in the last couple of weeks because I was afraid that it was too froofy for you. So, which is it? Yellow and green gender-neutral stuff only, or is some froof allowed?

Mr. M said...

No froof. After 4 new hair bows in a mere 15 minutes we had to enact some strict glue-gun control measures to prevent further froof proliferation in our house.