a GIRL! We were stunned when the ultrasound tech showed us that it is definitely a girl. Mr. M immediately started thinking of the boys she would date that he wouldn't like, and I started thinking of bras, periods, hormones, and self-image. We are feeling more settled and more excited now that we' ve had a few days, and yes, we know most of our worries won't be relevant for at least a decade. Ethan and Scott are also looking forward to this new little woman joining our family. Scott talks about her every day and loves to look at the baby websites to see how big she is (about the size of an heirloom tomato - sounds delicious!). She is scheduled to arrive sometime around November 14th. We're planning a VBAC.
I suppose it will be time to see if all our pre-girl vows will hold: no bows glued on heads, no froofy headbands for non-existent hair, as little pink in the wardrobe as possible, and above all, no princesses! I suspect some of these may go by the wayside as Miss M expresses her own personality.
I've been feeling a bit of pressure from myself. Suddenly, I am the dominant role model for a child. She will base her ideas on womanhood and motherhood on me. Thank goodness, I still have 5 months to become perfect and go to bed at night, keep the kitchen clean, stay on top of laundry, overcome my critical nature, develop charity, and keep the fridge stocked with healthy snacks and ingredients for delicious meals. Oh yeah, and turn into a fun mom who doesn't lose her temper, is so positively motivating that her children love to tidy up the nursery and always put their shoes on the shoe shelf. Let's not forget memorizing hundreds of scriptures to quote to the children, singing fun songs in the car so no one quarrels, and doing projects on Saturdays like puddle-mucking, frog-catching, and gardening.
Sigh. I think it will take longer than 5 months.
10 comments:
I'm pretty sure you could develop all of those attributes in five months. I mean, developing charity and becoming a perfect mom/housekeeper/scripture scholar couldn't possibly be THAT hard, right?
I am actually in favor of headbands for little bald heads, mostly because I don't want my daughters (assuming that I ever have any) to look like boys for the first two years of their lives. At the rate Asher's going, it will probably take that long before they've got enough hair saved up for pigtails or anything like that.... but maybe you don't like pigtails either. :)
Yay for normal, sane parents!
We hate headbands on little babies! I swear they damage their brains and turn them into princess cheerleaders--not a good combination. Our Katie is NEVER to be called a princess. There's way too much entitlement in society as it is. We've seen what that nickname has done to her cousin and it isn't good.
Congratulations! You'll be just fine!
Definitely NO to the stuck-on bows! But headbands...they're 50/50 in my book. I agree with the princess moratorium, though it's awfully cute to see them dressed up sometimes.
And I don't think you need to change anything. You're a great mom already and your little girl will be so lucky to join your family. We're absolutely thrilled for you.
congrats on having a girl! so so exciting! and so lucky to have fantastic parents and TWO older brothers :) I didn't think I would like pink on my baby, having been pretty anti-pink growing up, but I admit I've caved - pretty easy to do when all of the baby shower gifts were pink, anyway!
I'm so excited for you and the boys, Erin. I'm the third child and first daughter in my family! She'll love having two older brothers! Are you revealing any name choices?
I was extremely against the headbands as well. Until I tried one on Caitie and it was TOOOO cute! Eventually they're old enough to rip them right off anyway.
Don't put so much pressure on yourself-she's not even here!!! You be the best YOU that you can be and she will figure out what she wants to emulate and what she doesn't. Just like we did. :>
you are so melodramatic! :)
congrats on the girl,and good luck not putting her in pink --- especially since you don't do any of the shopping for your kids.
If I ever have a girl, I will probably copy and paste this post. ;o)
Can we place bets on how long the anti-pink or anti-princess campaigns will last? Hee hee! I do applaud the effort though - I've never been very pink much to my mother's chagrin. So maybe if you push pink she'll go the opposite. Hmmm....
Aren't you glad you didn't inherit that perfectionist gene that runs in the family!!?!!
Just be there to support her in her in fulfilling her life's mission, EVEN if it is being a princess.......or a tomboy.....or both. And more important than being a scriptural expert, is the ability to bite your lip (without drawing blood) when she needs to be herself and explore new ideas.
Congratulations!
Post a Comment