Sunday, September 14, 2008

What Can Go Wrong Will or All's Well That Ends Well

In our new congregation, I work with the kids, ages 3-12. Today it was my turn to teach Sharing Time, one for the junior group and one for the senior group. This was a Sunday when ALL the leaders from the region would be visiting. I diligently prepared my lesson during the week, so that on Sunday morning, I would only need to print it out. Our church doesn't meet til 12:20 pm, so I knew I had plenty of time.

Saturday night, while putting on the finishing touches, our computer went wacko. The sound card and the plug-in for the ethernet cable fell in to the back of the computer, if that makes any sense. Mr M helped me to take the case off and put Humpty Dumpty back together. When we turned it back on, the screen flashed some funny signals, but didn't work. Since it was midnight, we turned it off and figured we'd fix it in the morning.

This morning, we got the CPU functioning again, but for some weird reason, the mouse and the keyboard wouldn't work. Not the wireless mouse and wireless keyboard. Not the plug-in mouse and plug-in keyboard. After panicking, I reconstructed my lesson in a notebook as best I could, and at 12:10 pm, walked out to the car to drive to church.

As I opened the garage, I saw that the car door was partly open and the light on inside. When I turned the key in the ignition, I got a weak clicking and then nothing. The battery was dead. URGH! More panic! I ran back in the house, and we had a family prayer, grabbed the stroller, and started walking. Church is only a mile away, but by this point, we had only 5 minutes before Primary would start.

Luckily, someone from the ward drove by. She had room for 1 in her car, so I hopped in, and Mr M trekked it with the boys. I made it to church before Primary got going, and my lessons were fine.

My favorite part of the lesson was teaching the 3-7 year olds Doctrine and Covenants 10:5 : "Pray always, that ye may come off conqueror!" and on conqueror, we punched our fists into the air.

The irony of it all was that my lessons were on prayer. Perhaps these experiences were to teach me a little less trust in the arm of the flesh and a little more trust in God?

I'm teaching Sharing Time again in two weeks. Hopefully without any computer or car drama.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Prayer is in the "ayer". The topic of my RS lesson two weeks ago was also prayer. Then yesterday I gave a talk in Sacrament Mtg on same topic. Very handy :).

I would love to hear more about how homeschooling goes for you and the family. How do you find time to prepare the lessons? Do you think it would work well with babies around?

Chou said...

Wow, I'm really glad that worked out. I become more and more convinced that God answers the small things so we have faith to survive the big nasty ones.