I waffled for a long time in the decision of where to school, but I have no regrets at all about doing homeschool. Here are some of the things I love:
- We follow our own schedule. Today we woke up at 9 am, made whole wheat pancakes, and started school around 10 am. Our public school starts at 8:15 am and finishes at 2:30 pm.
- When Ethan is tired of working on math worksheets, he likes to sit down on the couch and read a book, sometimes out loud. He just finished reading Pete's A Pizza to Scott.
- Scott enjoys doing worksheets, too. He is very happy to have Ethan home.
- On odd days like today, Mr. M is around. He is a gifted teacher, especially for our boys, because he has the same kind of curious mind. They explored colors and distortion, as seen in Picasso, while doing Ethan's art lesson on self-portraits.
- Ethan can move at his own pace. He doesn't have to spend weeks and weeks learning to recognize letters and the sounds they make. Yesterday he finished reading his second Hardy Boys book.
I feel really happy. I am surprised by how much I am enjoying this because I always looked forward to getting my kids out of the house and having time to myself. For our family, this is working wonderfully.
5 comments:
Awesome! Chastity has been homeschooling our kids with K-12 since the program first piloted in our district 2 years ago and we love it for all of the reasons you outline and more.
Glad to hear how happy you are, how things are working. Sounds like a great choice. It sounds like Ethan is much too advanced for regular school.
It's great to hear an update! I keep checking :). Fun to hear about your kindergarten adventures! I think you're braver than I would be.
Wow!! Kudos to you for dedicating your time to Ethan and his education. It's so great that it's working well for him and for you too!! Wish I was that brave....
This sounds like a wonderful project for your family!
One of the things I loved best about doing homeschool was our "learning projects."
We picked a topic and had a semester's worth of books, videos, hands-on experiences, writing assignments, journal entries, essays, etc. about the topic. Then we "presented" on our topic for FHE when it was complete. I distinctly remember doing projects about poisonous plants, spiders, snakes and chickens.
Keep posting! I'd like to hear how it's going.
Post a Comment