Monday, March 12, 2012

Broken foot



On Friday night, Miss Elizabeth climbed up to the top of our Expedit bookshelf. She has done this before and she loves jumping into our big blue beanbag. So, when Scott came down and reported that she was up on the bookshelf, I told him to move the beanbag over and let her jump down. I knew there was no point in my going upstairs to get her down; she would just climb up again.

A few minutes later, I heard cries. Hurt cries. I hurried my hugely pregnant self up the stairs and found Elizabeth in tears, on her hands and knees. She had jumped OVER the beanbag, Scott reported, and landed on the floor toes first, then face. She couldn't wiggle her toes or put any weight on her left foot. I brought her downstairs, sat her in our big leather chair, and gave her an icepack. I knew she was in a lot of pain because she actually kept the icepack on her foot for 10 minutes. (Usually, she touches the icepack to the injured whatever for 10 seconds and is good to go.)

After Mr. M got home and  we ate dinner, I took Elizabeth over to the TX Med Clinic near us. They did x-rays and suspected one, possibly two, hairline fractures in the top of her foot. After 3 hours there, they sent us away with a copy of the x-rays, a splint on Elizabeth, and instructions to follow up with a pediatric orthopedic doctor.

This morning we went to the doctor. They got us in 40 minutes after we called! The doctor said he was impressed with the service and care we got from TX Med Clinic, as the fracture was difficult to discern, but definitely there. Elizabeth, as you can see from the photo, is now in a cast. It will come off in 3 weeks. She isn't supposed to take a bath or go outside, but if we have to do either of those things, we have very specific instructions on how to do them both.

It's our first broken bone. On the plus side, Elizabeth says she isn't going to jump off the bookshelf anymore.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Hooray for lessons learned, I guess. :)

Ben said...

She seems very happy with her stylish cast.

Greek Goddess said...

Hope everything goes smoothly. Thinking of you!