Monday, November 29, 2010

Update on The Girl: a post for grandparents and far-off uncles

We took our very grown up 1 year old to the pediatrician this morning for a well-baby check. I was not surprised to learn that she is in the 10th percentile for weight (18 lbs 10 oz) and the 95th percentile for height (31 inches). What can I say? We're good at growing string beans.

I was surprised to learn that she has infections in both ears. I had been hoping to discuss her cough, which is especially bad at night and has been waking her up. The doctor explained that when you have an ear infection, lying down puts additional pressure on the ear canal and triggers coughing, almost as a reflex. He also explained that with older kids who can tell you about their pain and their hearing, it isn't necessary to use antibiotics on ear infections, and they will often clear up without any drugs. With younger ones who aren't talking yet, antibiotics are a very good idea.

Elizabeth likes the taste of her bubble-gum flavored amoxicillin. We will go back in 10 days and see how those ears are doing.

Here is a video of our low-key birthday celebration. We skipped sugary birthday treats because of her cough and runny nose, and who wants a depressed immune system anyway? Elizabeth loves her stacking rings and plays with them every day for minutes at a time. (If you know any 1 year olds, you know how busy they are and how truly impressive this is.)


6 comments:

Ben said...

An error occurred, please try again later :(

Anonymous said...

That's it! We have to see you. I don't even know that sweet little girlie and she's so big already!

I like the fancy schmancy wooden rings.

Jenny said...

I'm sorry about the ear infections. I hope she gets feeling better!

Spencer and Jennifer Lee said...

I can't believe our babies are one! She is adorable, hope those ears feel better soon.

Grandpa Tom said...

We can't wait to see everyone and catch up on all the moos! Sooon!

Robin said...

I'm not an uncle but I still really liked reading about The Girl and how she's doing. Good to get your Christmas letter, too. Thanks!