Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Pi Day

Pi Day snuck up on me this year, and it fell on a Sunday. Miraculously, I had some delicious frozen blueberries on hand and decided to make a Blueberry Galette. Unfortunately, I was not terribly accurate in measuring the butter and the crust was extremely sticky. "No matter," thought I, "it will bake just fine." WRONG!

The crust didn't hold together enough to keep the blueberry juice from bleeding all over the baking pan and dripping onto the oven floor, sending up huge clouds of black smoke in my kitchen. After attempting some tinfoil remedies around the edge of the pan, we gave up and ate the galette half-cooked. It was like eating blueberry sugar cookie dough - delicious - but I am determined to try again. Maybe if I used a jelly roll pan that would solve my problem. Or I suppose I could just measure the butter correctly.

Here is the galette:



And here is the oven. (I have since cleaned it for the first time in 2 years. Better late than never. )

3 comments:

Shaun R. said...

The first attempt was pretty good. I agree. You should definitely try making it again...and I should be there for the second attempt as well.

Carla said...

If the crust has too much butter, just add more flour w/ a little salt. :)

Dimples :) said...

Yay for Pi Day!! I used to celebrate with my 8th graders while I was teaching math in my pre-children days. There is nothing like a nice poem extolling the virtues of Pi written by a 13 year old! And yummy pie too. Can't go wrong with that.