Thursday, August 13, 2009

Count your many blessings OR stream of conciousness



Since our last post, so many things have happened, mostly good -

I turned in enough ink cartridges to Staples that a huge reward check came, just in time to rescue me from the woes of a broken wireless keyboard. I bought a brand new USB ergonomic wave keyboard and still have some in-store credit leftover. I brought in the very comfy office chair from the storage room/office and have been quite pleased with my computer comfort.

Grandma Gail came to visit for a week. She came to the Hollywood Bowl with the boys and me on our last week of SummerSounds to see Shammy D and his neighborhood block party. Grandma Gail also got to watch Scott and Ethan's first swim lesson with Tyler (see photo above of the boys in their swimwear.) She and Uncle Shaun took the boys to the Getty Center and when Ethan came home, he announced that the Getty WASN'T boring, after all. I had a pleasant afternoon all to myself. On Sunday, we attended a different ward since a huge YSA Conference had displaced us and were pleasantly surprised to have the speakers be the Rick Schroder family. (I haven't seen him since Silver Spoons!)

We are down from 6 vacancies to 3. I'm optimistic that with the start of school coming, we'll fill up by the end of the month. Anyone out there looking for a great one-bedroom with an exceptional apartment manager?

The solar panels that heat the pool have *had the bun. It has been almost 2 weeks now that we had to stop using them because of leaks, and the pool temperature has dropped from 88 degrees to 76 degrees, too cold for boys with no body fat to swim for longer than 2 minutes. On the positive side, I have learned a lot about how the pool filter, the pump, the timer, and the solar panels work. We are getting bids from companies for repairs, but I have a hunch that our swimming season is over for this year.

We got our carpet professionally cleaned and bought a new vacuum! The joy of clean floors was contrasted with the sorrow of vacuuming over our cord tonight and munching it. Down, down, down to the depths of despair... and then up, up, up to the euphoria of undeserved blessings after calling American Express, making a Purchase Protection claim, and receiving a credit in the full amount of the vacuum price. AmEx just won my loyalty forever.

I have been feeling those nesting urges. We vacuum almost every day and Swiff every night. I scrubbed my dining room and entryway walls. I have visited Home Depot to buy materials for violin lessons, screws to fix Ethan's bed, and a Zip-It for our drain. My laundry system is in place. Elizabeth's clothes (thanks everyone!) are hanging in her closet, arranged by size, waiting for her arrival.

I went to the doctor today and was surprised to learn that I had gained 13 lbs this month. It's ok, though, since I had only gained 7 lbs in the preceding 5 months. Go Elizabeth (or maybe I should say, grow Elizabeth!) While there, I also learned that if your pen explodes in your purse all over your planner and then you get ink all over your hands and your shirt, rubbing alcohol will get it all out. Thanks, Nurse Courtney!

In addition to weekly private lessons, most of my violin students now come to a group class for an hour each week. It has done wonders for them all, so much so that I vowed to find a way to continue them during the school year. The two little ones who had such a hard time during private lessons (starting the lesson lying on the floor saying, "I'm tired!" is not a good beginning) have made the most obvious progress. It has also been really helpful for the moms to see other moms and other kids in class. Yay for group classes.

The end.

*This is a Canadian expression popularly used in my family to mean that something is broken or worn out beyond repair or use.

2 comments:

Tanya S. said...

Anyone out there looking for a great one-bedroom with an exceptional apartment manager?

Yes, actually, but the commute would be a killer ;-)

And I didn't know you'd picked the name Elizabeth. Love it! That's always been one of my favorite names.

Ben said...

Yay for posts! Great pic of the boys :)