I had an uneventful day until about 6:45 pm. I had prepared my 35 newsletters to distribute at the monthly preschool co-op meeting that started at 7 pm. They were in the car. I was ready to go, just waiting for Mr. M to arrive home from school on the bus to watch the boys. He would arrive any minute...
A knock at the door. Could it be? Is it he? I gleefully grabbed my bag to leave. No, it's not my husband, it's a tenant, telling me that the laundry room sink has overflowed with water and is flowing all over the floor. The phone ringing interrupts our conversation and Scott runs out the door, thinking he is finally free. On the phone is one of my visiting teachees, telling me about what we need to do to sell her car. I cut her off, only somewhat impolitely, hang up, lace up my shoes, and head out the door to the laundry room.
I sweep the 3 inches of water out of the laundry room. Ah, yes, the sink is clogged. I return to the house, take off my shoes, walk in socks to the bathroom across the new carpet, grab the toilet plunger, go back to the door, put on my shoes, and go back to the laundry room. Plunge, plunge! Bits of paper float up through the water. Just as I suspected - the pipes are fine, it's only the drain that has been blocked. Plunge, plunge, drain, drain. At the bottom, I find a cigarette carton, wadded up and shoved into a plastic bag. Who's the wabido who put that in the sink?
Scott has picked up the broom and is pushing the water across the patio. I manage to shoo him into the house, before going upstairs to report to the tenant who originally reported the clog that she can do her laundry now. While speaking with her at the door, I see my Scott streak out of the house, wearing nothing but a t-shirt. He is waving a dripping pair of blue underwear. I see excrement hanging off his bare backside. He calls to me, "Mom! My underwear fell in the toilet!"
I interrupt my conversation with the tenant, run downstairs, and chase Scott into the house. The blue underwear drips toilet water across my clean carpet. I curse my husband's lateness and moan inwardly. I put Scott in the tub and make him clean himself up with the water.
It was awful, but only a few minutes later, after chastising my tardy husband, and heading off into the sunset, I mean, heading off to my preschool meeting, I realized how funny it all was. Haha, April Fools on me! And what great blog material!
5 comments:
Great attitude! What an example!
But I was SOÖO mad while it was all happening. "This isn't supposed to be happening to me! I'm not even supposed to be here!" grumble grumble grouch grouch
I spent most of my time reading this hoping that it really WAS just an April Fool's joke! Glad it all worked out okay in the end (no pun intended) :-)
hey cousin :) I found your blog again, and it is as fun to read as it was before!
Hee hee snort! I read this to my mother. She chuckled and said, "Take a picture. It'll be funny later"
Post a Comment