Saturday, July 29, 2006

Contact lens wearers, beware!

Or rather, be aware.

According to my opthalmologist and emedicinehealth.com (and many other sites), "People who wear contact lenses are at an increased risk of corneal ulcers." Stop right there, you are thinking, what in the world is a corneal ulcer? A corneal ulcer is an open, sometimes infected, sore on your cornea (the clear part of your eye that covers the iris or colored part). Mine was diagnosed yesterday after enduring a night and morning of a very sore, red eye which especially hurt when exposed to light or when changing focus - so basically all the time:)

Before the opthalmologist even looked into my eye, he asked me if I wore contact lenses. When I told him that I wore the kind that allowed for 30 days and nights of continuous wear, he looked very concerned. "When those things came out on the market, I was yelling at the tv," he explained. "I have seen so many problems come directly from those lenses." "Well, I don't usually wear them that long," I protested. "I usually take them out at least one night a week." Then, he looked into my eye, and said, "That's it. That's what's causing your problems. A corneal ulcer."

Corneal ulcers are very serious. If left untreated, they can cause permanent vision damange or even blindness in only 24-48 hours. Yikes! I am a very lucky girl (also blessed) that although my ulcer was wildly infected, it is peripheral and will not affect my vision. There will, however, be a scar visible to someone who looks closely at my eye. The doctor prescribed agressive antibiotic treatment so I have 1 set of drops every 2 hours, another set 4x daily, and eye ointment that I apply before bed.

You can bet that I came home from the doctor and the pharmacy and looked around online. I'd hever heard of a corneal ulcer, but evidently, they are not uncommon with contact lens wearers.
I asked my opthalmologist why extended wear contacts are on the market if they are so dangerous and he said the average eye-care precriber doesn't see the the problems. (DUH! They aren't qualified to treat eye diseases, so why would someone with a problem go to them?!) He said, and websites concurred that, your risk of corneal ulcerations increases 10-fold when using extended-wear soft contact lenses.

If you wear contact lenses, or especially extended wear contact lenses, be very careful!

  • Always wash your hands before handling the lenses. Never use saliva to lubricate your lenses because your mouth contains bacteria that can harm your cornea.

  • Remove your lenses from your eyes every evening and carefully clean them. Never use tap water to clean the lenses.

  • Never sleep with your contact lenses in your eyes.

  • Store the lenses in disinfecting solutions overnight

  • Remove your lenses whenever your eyes are irritated and leave them out until your eyes feel better.

  • Regularly clean your contact lens case.



Here are symptoms to watch for - if you ever experience these, get your eyes checked out immediately!

  • an ache in your eye

  • feeling of something in your eye

  • pain when looking at light

  • lots of tears (lacrimation)

  • swollen eye

  • pus or discharge from your eye

  • a white round spot on the cornea that is visible with the naked eye (that means the ulcer is very large)

6 comments:

Erin Marie said...

I'm almost scared enough to quit wearing my night and day contacts. Almost, because I LOVE my contacts. But my doctor (I'm not even going to try and spell it) said that the extended wear are better because you're not touching your eye as often. *shrug* Thanks for the warning!

Anonymous said...

Condolences! I'm glad it was caught, though, and it won't affect your vision. Makes me glad I don't wear contacts.

Um, I'd love to see the scar next time our paths cross, though...

Erin said...

Erin Marie, I loved mine too. It's wonderful to see all the time and not worry about sterilizing, disinfecting, and cleaning all the time. But my doctors says no more for me. Only daily wear.

Tanya, when next we meet, I will say, "Look DEEEEEEEP into my eyes..."

Craig said...

Ouch. Knock wood that my vision stays good. I hope you're doing better now, and sorry to hear you had to go through that.

Anonymous said...

I am recovering from a corneal ulcer. I too am a contact lens wearer. I had pain, redness, sensitivity to light etc. - went another 24 hours thinking it was just a 'corneal abrasion' (thanks to my clueless research on the web!) - a pharmacist I saw prescribed Murine! - Finally after 48 hours I went to the doctor and was urgently referred to an eye unit. I have a small corneal scar that is affecting my clarity of vision somewhat. At least I'm not blind. My boyfriend is begging me never to wear contacts again. But I hate glasses!!

Anonymous said...

I am recovering from a corneal ulcer too. I took a walk on a windy dirt road with my contacts an no sunglasses. though my eyes were irritated I figured it was from the wind and proceeded to go out to dinner and a movie. I woke up in excruciating pain in the middle of the night. Went to the doctor the next day and he diagnosed it as an ulcer. I just started wearing contacts again after a month and it doesn't feel right yet. Luckily my sight is fine now but it was so scary b/c the medication Zymar bothered me the first night and i stopped it-- which made the ulcer grow and it affected my vision at that point.
Then i took Quixin and it started to heal. I should not have stopped the medication b/c these ulcers are quite aggressive. Overall I am hoping my eye will get back to normal in the near future and if ever I get the slightest pain in my eye I am heading straight to the opthalmologist. You can't mess around with your eyes.