Monday, February 06, 2006

My amazing boy

In Primary yesterday, I wrote the theme for February on the whiteboard: Heavenly Father's plan promises eternal happiness. "Does anyone know what eternal happiness is?" I asked. Ethan (my just-barely-3yo) answered, "It's when you eat the fruit from the tree." It took me a moment to realize he was talking about the tree of life, and I was stunned. He was perfectly right - that is true happiness.

Where did he acquire this knowledge? Last week, Ethan got the Book of Mormon Stories on tape and has listened to them every day at least once all the way through, following along with the pictures. I think it has become his favorite thing to do, even above jumping on the couch.

Tonight for FHE, Michael invited Ethan to give the lesson and tell us where the Book of Mormon came from. Well, Ethan certainly told us. He opened his illustrated Book of Mormon stories and quoted us the first two pages. Verbatim.

I knew he was a smart cookie, but this still amazed me. I wonder what else he knows... I would be interested in hearing from moms and dads out there who have experience raising kids who show early interest and aptitude in reading or other areas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it's time to start him on Hebrew, since he's mastered English :)

Ben

Vanessa and Rebecca said...

lol, I wish we were in that catagory. I've been trying to teach Megan and well... we come out with a song and a dance (literally) about everything under the sun. So much for trying to teach the gospel. Our only hope right now is teaching her primary songs. She'll remember those within the first 3 times sung. Yep, scary. However the whole question "What did your teacher say in Sunbeams" question come out with "Sis. Becky has a bandaid on her toe, and Sis Amanda has a pretty dress and very very pretty socks (fishnet)" Yep you've got an above average little boy there. Not a surprise knowing the parents though. :-) (don't get me wrong Megan's extreamely talented with everything but reading/listening comprehension. She's got her abc's, numbers, shapes, colors and other things down (almost photographic, she'll memorize where everything is hidden on ALL the eye spy books from the library first time round. NOt so much fun second time round because she already knows where everything is at). Just the whole comprehension thing eludes her and she comes out with a "huh?")