Saturday, October 22, 2011

Symphony tickets!!!

Sometimes everything feels right and good in the world. A few weeks ago, I got an email from Ethan's choir, offering me the chance for 4 free tickets on Saturday night to the symphony. What could be better? We arranged for a babysitter, and I called up my Messiah stand partner and friend. It was a double-date!

When we arrived at the theatre downtown and picked up our tickets, I was delighted to discover that we had front row tickets directly in front of the first violin section.  The seats were perfect for studying all the bow holds. I am amazed at the diversity of styles among professionals. One violinist had such a high elbow that he seemed to be playing on the G string all the time. It was also fun being able to hear the conductor sniff and snort and to observe his facial expressions.

There happened to be a Liszt piano concerto on the program, and we were well positioned to watch the soloists hands jumping all over the keyboard. He was amazing, although his choice of encores were, to quote my mother, "bombastic": all 10 fingers, all the time, making me want to bang my head against the wall, but in the best way possible, of course.

All told, it was a delightful evening.

1 comment:

Gina said...

And you and Michael were so well color-coordinated. :)