Sunday, March 01, 2009

A Primary anecdote

In Primary today, we talked about the important role of fathers: to preside, provide, and protect. Three fathers came to visit Primary and talk about their role and share their thoughts on what those words mean. Our Bishop said that to preside is to guide and lead. That makes sense to me, but part of me wants to argue that mothers also guide and lead, so why does the presiding fall to fathers? And then the other part of me says back, "Fathers hold the Priesthood and they preside, not because mothers can't, but because that's how roles were defined." And then the first part of me says, "But why? Is there something inherent in a father that makes him preside?" And then the second part of me says, "Pray about it."

But I digress. The point of blogging today was to share something from Sharing Time that made me laugh.

Our Sharing Time leader said to the children, "Some of you will grow up to be fathers." Zoe, a 5 year old girl, immediately cried out, "I am going to be a mother." Whereupon, Scott turned around and proclaimed, "I am going to marry you!"

Everything was all decided, I thought, until Zoe's teacher, who had been sitting right next to her, told me after the lesson was over that she muttered under her breath, "I will never marry you!"

Ah, young love.

6 comments:

candice said...

The part about Scott is hilarious. The other beginning part has the same affect on me, with a slightly different dialogue, except my voice never quite gets to the "pray about it" part. I just get frustrated :)

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, Scott. She probably wasn't good enough for you anyway.

Chellers said...

Poor Scott. Maybe Avery will give him a chance in about 19 years...

Mr. M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

To clarify, I am not oppressed, just trying to understand. I am a happy woman. Still, Mr. M, I love it when you bake bread.

Chellers, that would be too too cool if we got an Avery M. several decades down the line.

Violadiva said...

Funny Scott.

I have the same feelings (the itty-bitty feminist in me) that agrees with you about the Presiding bit. I think the key for me was understanding the next sentence: "In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners."

Daddies can nurture. Mommies can lead. We're equal partners.