Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Cheaper than a plane ticket

Last night, in a moment of desperation when the family looked to me for FHE treats, I dug through my recipe box and found a scrap of paper, folded in half, with this recipe written on it. I don't remember where I got it or from whom.

1 cup flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp butter
2 eggs

I threw it all in the blender to mix.

It takes about 1/4 cup batter in the right nonstick pan to make beautiful, tender, golden, perfectly delicious crêpes.

Sprinkle with lemon juice and sugar OR top with Nutella and banana slices. Yum!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmmmmm... Crepes...

The rules for crepes in our house are:

1) They're crEpes, not crApes;
2) It's not a burrito--don't pack it so full of stuff that you can only eat one and a half;
3) The last crepe (the one where you dump out the rest of the batter and it's not quite enough to fill the pan) looks more or less like France.

My favorite things to do with the recipe are an egg to flour ratio of 3 eggs per cup of flour (it's the egg that makes it stick together despite how thin it is--this coming from the guy who forgot eggs in his peanut butter cookies!), milk only (no water), vanilla, and orange rind (although I add that only infrequently--it's kind of a pain to do but it adds an incredible touch). I've never tried butter, I'll have to do that next.

Rachelle's laughing at my post-length "comment"...

Chou said...

I'm with PJ on the 3 eggs to 1 cup flour ratio, I generally use 1.5 cups milk, although powdered milk is my current choice. Trying to use up the food storage. :) I quit putting butter in my crepes and just smear it all over the pan.

Greek Goddess said...

I use Sophie's recipe minus the rum flavoring. I use vanilla and milk only. I love them with:
cinnamon and sugar
jam
lemon juice and sugar
applesauce
yogurt

We have them a lot around here for dinner thanks to you and the crepe pan you gave us for our wedding!!! Rebecca calls them roll ups, so that's what we've adopted around here.