Friday, March 16, 2007

Fun at the Kidspace Museum



Yes, we are still alive over at the Daily Moos, which some people have suggested we rename the Monthly Moos. On to today's story...

We had a fabulous time visiting the Kidspace Museum earlier this week with our new friends, Sarah and Penny. It was a day of firsts: our first time at the Rose Bowl, our first time at the museum, our first outing with aforementioned new friends...

This museum has recreated an anthill on a giant scale - and we crawled through it! It was creepy being in a small dark space and then realizing the huge white things next to me were eggs. Blech! But I told myself, "This is built for kids. You can handle it." Ethan's initial reaction was similar - "Mom, it's too dark. I can't see. I'm scared" - but after his eyes adjusted to the dark, he was willing to try it. He was very pleased to climb out at the top. "I did it!" Scott refused to even peek inside, but he did take advantage of an open bag of chips set outside the entrance. Other people's food - yummy! He may be an ant at heart.

After meeting a real female stick bug named Stick'emUp at the nature room, we went outside. There were two separate bike tracks with Ethan-sized and Scott-sized bikes and helmets. Ethan went around and around for about 40 minutes. Scott had more fun playing at the water station. Pour it in, let it out, pour it in, let it out... He does the same thing at our kitchen sink and will stay there for hours.

Our last station for the day was up the hill behind the bike tracks. At the top of the hill is a gazebo with a corrugated roof. Every 5 minutes or so, water pours down off the roof into a little pond, creating the effect of rain. One side of the pond opens up into a stream that runs down the hill. The rain was a big hit. "I touch it!" insisted Scott. Of course, when you are touching water, it's hard to stay dry. Luckily, Sarah had warned me to bring extra clothes for the boys.

At the end of the afternoon, two tired and happy boys left with one happy mom. We will have to go back there again! Thanks, Sarah!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

We had a great time! Penny has been asking about you guys ever since wondering where you went. I think we'll have to plan another visit to the ant hole soon :)

BTW, I'm seriously impressed that your kids went in that ant hole. It took Penny about 5 visits before she would even stick her head inside the dark hole. You have brave little boys (and cute!).

Unless you give me a VERY compelling reason not to, I'm linking you to my blog. Deal with it.