At lunch today, Ethan requested "a plain peanut butter sandwich".
"You mean, one with creamy peanut butter as opposed to chunky?" I sought confirmation because as everyone knows, a hungry 3 year old who doesn't get his order is likely to enter tantrum mode.
"No, I want a piece of bread folded like this." Here, he showed me by holding his hands out flat next to each other like an open book and then closing them together.
"You mean you want a piece of bread?"
Almost indignant: "No, NOT a piece of bread, a plain peanut butter sandwich!" The unspoken words were Mom, how could you think I meant that?!
I gave him a piece of bread, folded it as per his instructions, and handed it over. Plain peanut butter sandwich, indeed! Where does the peanut butter come in? I'm still wondering.
2 comments:
LOL--too cute! And shame on you for not understanding what a "plain peanut butter sandwich" is!!
I suspect that Ethan's mental conception of the word plain is probably something like "without anything poured, spread, or smeared on". Plain hot dogs or hamburgers are without ketchup, mustard, relish, fry sauce, etc, after all. Since the only thing spread on a peanut butter sandwich is the peanut butter, a plain one would have to be without peanut butter.
Those who would say that the jelly is also spread on a peanut butter sandwich are clearly thinking of a different sandwich, the "peanut butter and jelly sandwich" or commonly "PB&J". It would be an interesting experiment to ask Ethan to show you how to make a plain peanut butter and jelly sandwich (if that's possible in his worldview).
Post a Comment