Wow. Scary wow. I just experienced my first earthquake. The windows started rattling, as if a HUGE truck was driving slowly by. Michael and I looked at each other, grabbed the kids, and headed to our safeplace - the doorway between the living room and the hall. There's no door there and it's far from glass, furniture, appliances, and outside walls. While we stood there, we heard shouting from our neighbors in the apartment building, "EARTHQUAKE!" It lasted less than 30 seconds. The newssaid it was a 5.3, centered in Yucaipa.
Now that things have settled down, I think that it was a great earthquake drill. For the last few weeks, Michael has been itching to get our 72 hour kits finished. So much so that on Tuesday night, instead of cheering for his favorite basketball team - the San Antonio SPURS - he got out our current 72 hour kits, did a complete inventory on them, and figured out what more we needed to feel ready. We did the shopping yesterday.
It seems like there has been a lot of earthquake activity lately. I feel a lot better having a 72 hour kit and I sure hope we never have to use it.
2 comments:
Kristina (your cousin, my sister) has found the earthquakes she's experienced since moving to California kind of fun. She likes the rolling best; the jolting isn't as fun.
She's weird.
I don't think I like earthquakes.
Post a Comment